Charles Hard Townes was born into a prosperous family on July 28, 1915 in Greenville, South Carolina, USA. . This portrait accompanies that of her second husband.). In 1790, Maryland's General Assembly was considering the removal of the post office and the straightening of the Old Post Road, thus bypassing Charles Town. The only building constructed on the site in the 18th Century was a small jail. In his will, Charles indicated that Berkeley County should be divided and Charlestown named the county seat of a new county. From the early 1800s through the mid 1900s, ice was good business on the North East River. In 1776, he was commissioned as a Captain of the 5th Company of the Maryland 1st Regiment. Paca House (CE-111; circa 1750): John Paca, the brother of Governor William Paca a signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived in Charlestown during the mid-1700’s. The building has a gable roof and five bays. A Charlestown Colonial Regiment color bearer, flanked by fifer and drummer, marches with the unit at Earleville Saturday as the Earleville ’76ers stage a Bicentennial Preview. The Wellwood Club is a frame structure with formal rooms in the columned front section and rows of dormitory style bedrooms in the rear wing. To learn more about these historic sites, please download the attached brochure and begin your walking … Maryland Historical Trust records indicate that the building was a private home in the 19th and 20th Centuries. Charlestown is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the third oldest town in the State of Maryland. This property is shown in the 1813 sketch of Charles Town by Benjamin Latrobe. In 1792, it was sold to Samuel Hogg, who resided here until his death in 1826. In 1763, Hollingsworth subdivided the lot and sold the section where the brick mansion now stands to Thomas Jacobs, who was a miller by trade. Red Lyon Tavern (CE-128; circa 1750): The tavern is one of Charlestown’s most important historic sites and structures. In 1753, Paca and his wife, Margaret, sold the property to Edward Mitchell, a commissioner of Charles Town. Many distinguished personages such as Benjamin Franklin, George Washington and the great American artist Charles Willson Peale frequented the Town. Featured in a November 4, 1970 article in the Cecil Whig, the property was described by reporter Dot Clark, the women's page editor: "Inside the Indian Queen is only 30 feet square with a massive chimney rising through the center. Modern additions were made in 2000. The structure is listed as one of the old inns of Charlestown along the Old Post Road, now MD Route 267. His father, Henry Townes, was a lawyer and newspaper editor. Thomas Walford, acting as an interpreter with the Massachusetts Indians, negotiated wit… Ramsay headed a group called the Council of Safety. It has undergone several rehabilitations. British troops searched Charlestown and then sailed to Havre de Grace, where a larger battle occurred. Porter was convicted of manslaughter but served no prison sentence, although he was incarcerated in the town's stone jail for a brief period shortly after the offense. The ship’s officers and men were marched through the streets of the Town. . In 1802, Hasson married Nancy Meek and together they had two children, James Hasson, born on September 24, 1803, and John Hasson, born February 2, 1806. It was used for tax collection but was removed in the early 1800’s. Laid out in 1786 by George Washington ’s youngest brother, Charles, it early became the residence of some of Virginia’s most aristocratic families. Town Commissioner Zebulon Hollingsworth, who originally drew the ballot for Lot 82 and subdivided the property, is referred to as "Innkeeper" on the original deed. (Photo above, Black's Store and Indian Queen to the right, circa 1880, courtesy Mr. & Mrs. J. Cranford Henry.). We will review the data in question. Walking southwest on Market Street, next to the Indian Queen is the Red Lyon Tavern, later known as Stephen Porter's Tavern. Old Charles Town Library, Inc. operates the Charles Town Library and the Jefferson County Museum. The back porch forms a short passage to a log kitchen where for years an old Negro cook, named Annie Sherwood reigned supreme. Many distinguished Charlestown residents tore down their houses and moved to Baltimore in disgust when the Town’s status as county seat was stripped away in favor of a town at the head of the Elk River – Elkton. The Washington Family’s investment in the region began in the mid-1700s. His home, Happy Retreat, still stands, and the City is exploring options for purchasing the property for use as a community museum and park. (Above, Barnes Store, circa 1930. The building is a two-story, frame structure with an interior floor plan consisting of four rooms. Charles Town is an inclusive community renowned for its historic character, vibrant downtown center, sustainable commercial core, and outstanding livability. The “Charlestown Wharf” was located at Water and Conestoga Streets and projected 300’ into the river. Charles Town is featured on the Washington Heritage National Trail Scenic Byway. John Endicott, first governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, sent William, Richard and Ralph Sprague to Mishawaum to lay out a settlement. (Circa 1905 Photographs courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. The original mid-18th-century wharf is no longer standing at Charlestown, but the town has built a reproduction of the wharf at the end of a stone pier that was laid over the remains of the original cribbing for archeological conservation. Charlestown Town Hall and Post Office (CE-388): Located on Market Street and constructed in 1878, the building served as an elementary school site until June 14, 1961. Both the Perry K. Barnes house and the icehouse remain today in essentially the same condition as when they were constructed. This photograph courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. 1 Plans & Sections, 1991- Plans-Erosion & Sediment Control Details, 1991- Plans-Erosion & Sediment Control Plan, 1998- Fire Boat Pier and Entrance Channel Dredging, 1936- Sale of Blacksmith Shop to Charlestown, 1994- Critical Area-Worksheet 10 Rule Compliance, 2001- Map Charlestown Panchromatic Digital Orthophotos, 1742- Map of the Corporation of Charlestown, 1836- Map of the Corporation of Charlestown, 1920- Holloway Beach-Charlestown Beach Estates April 1919, 1922- Holloway Beach – Edna M. Black Subdivision, 1924- Holloway Beach – Charlestown Beach Estates, 1953- Holloway Beach Improvement Association Map, 1966- Plat of Proposed Site for Sewage Treatment Plant, 1979- Map Boundary and Annexation Survey of the Northeasternmost Boundry Line, 2008- Charlestown Manor In-Town & Out-of-Town Maps, 2011- Boundary and Annexation Survey Census Map. Nathaniel Ramsay/Key-Ramsey House Site (CE-1300): Originally, the home of Francis Key, birthplace of John Ross Key and Father of Francis Scott Key composer of the “Star Spangled Banner.” This structure was indicated in Benjamin Latrobe’s 1813 sketch of Charlestown, located where the Charlestown Parsonage for St. John’s Methodist Church stands today. The house is of post and beam construction with clay and brick nogging for insulation. Over the course of time, harmed by the long-term effects of the Revolutionary War, by the realignment of the Old Post Road and better roads which lessened traders’ dependence on water transportation along with the establishment of Elkton as the new Cecil County Seat in the 1780’s, Charlestown slipped into gentle obscurity. He was married to Margaret Jane Peale, sister of Charles Willson Peale. Stone walls underpin the log structure creating a cellar, keeping room. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church” was constructed in 1856. Accessibility Statement, Patricia Clements March 2018 – March 2020, Karl Fockler – Treasurer (Elected March 2017 – March 2019), Joseph Letts – Vice President ( Elected March 2017 – March 2019). Still House (CE-393; circa 1760): The house is located on Lot 1 of the original Charles Town plat. . Hamilton was elected to serve as a town commissioner. (John Paca, circa 1765 by John Hesselius, MSA SC 4680-10-0084.). It was built by the Orphan Starfish Foundation and has added to the rich history of the location. Unsuccessful, they traveled to the Klondike goldfields of Alaska, not to mine but to open a bar and gambling facility. By the early 1800's he was a "freeman of color." Linton House (CE-110; circa 1787): Located at 316 Market Street, the “Linton House” was constructed by Charlestown Commissioner William Linton in 1787. He was born on May 5, 1815, the son of Thomas and Catherine (nee Moore) Burnside, who were married on January 28, 1813. The shop was built in 1854 by Phillip F. Jackson, and Robert Boone Gibson started working at the business in 1875. The building was erected in about 1755. There is a hexagonal, clapboard icehouse in the rear yard. “We got 10 computers and a printer as well, and the compound has Wi-Fi, which the kids access for free. In 1770, the house was described as a frame dwelling 20 feet by 30 feet. Charles Town's wharf can be seen, and the large white building is, most likely, the three-story stone warehouse at the wharf. Charlestown is the oldest Town in Cecil County and the third oldest town in the State of Maryland. (Home of John Black Graham, Charlestown, Maryland, circa 1880, courtesy of B. They had two children, Richard Kirby "Dick" Barnes and Margaret Barnes (Johnson). These blocks would be stored in the icehouse and later placed on the nearby trains for shipment to Baltimore and Philadelphia. Charlestown’s most prominent history occurred during the colonial period and to just after the Revolutionary War (1742–1790). Apparently he was successful, as the Old Post Road was never straightened and the post office remained in Charles Town. Charlestown today is a small, water-oriented municipality with a population of about 1,500 people, four marinas, a general store, two restaurants, an elementary school and a Post Office. Report Station. This “deep sleep” allowed for the preservation of many of the Town’s historic resources into the present time. John Paca was a major landowner and purchased the lot in Charles Town as an investment. Website: Small Details, LLC ), The Home of Harry Housekeeper and Pauline Barnes, (The photograph above was taken to be used as Christmas Card that was sent in 1939 to Nancy Black Beck, and shows the home of Harry H. & Pauline Barnes.). (John Nelson Black, Jr. Family, 1875, courtesy of Nancy Black Beck, Springfield, Virginia. It is a three story house with a slate, mansard roof in the Empire style. Town History - Cape Charles The Eastern Shore of Virginia, one of the earliest colonized areas in North America, remained a seafood and agricultural region with scattered small towns until the 1880s. Having a busy port in its early years, Charles Town's major imports included raw sugar and rum from the West Indies. Woods Mattingley, Jr., San Jose, California.) Streets such as Washington lead to landmarks and hint at Charles Town’s history: 275 years ago, Charles Washington – youngest brother to George – founded this town. It was a stone and frame structure, approximately 80 feet long and three stories high. MARYLAND'S CHARLES TOWN, 1742 AND BEYOND, A PICTURAL TOUR OF ITS HISTORY by GERARD "ROD" WITTSTADT, JR, ESQUIRE, Gerard William Wittstadt, Jr., Esquire (c)2021, Lot 1, "The Still House," also known as "The Locust". This home, built in about 1787 by Town Commissioner William Linton, is where George Washington stopped on his journeys through town, when the property was used as a tavern. Charles Town is located inland near the town of Buff Bay in the parish of Portland. John Paca was born in Maryland in 1712. They are working at the Barnes decoy house in 1950, the same year that Mr. Barnes acquired this Sneak Boat License for the Susquehanna Flats.. Photographs courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. Ella and Otha Gibson had one child, Robert Gibson, who was born in 1918. Ms. Sherwood died in 1927 and is buried at St. John's Methodist Church in Charlestown.). will rediscover the complex history of Charles Town, West Virginia. In the background getting ready to spread the nets are Pauline Barnes, Ike Heisler and Will Heverin. It was used for seasonal duck hunters on the Susquehanna Flats in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. We are documenting this history and recording, when we can, the voices of those who experienced it firsthand. However, for about two decades, confusion arose because the same name was also used for a town established in Ohio County at the mouth of Buffalo Creek, and authorized in the 1791 term of that local court. William Sayle was their leader and first governor from 1670 to 1671. The many windows, French doors, and angled bedroom wings give the house a friendly and welcoming demeanor. The settlement, originally called Charles Towne (for Charles II), was established by English colonists in 1670 on the west bank of the Ashley, thus beginning the colonization of South Carolina. ", (Pictured right is Annie Sherwood, the former cook, behind the kitchen at the Indian Queen, circa 1910. Cecil Cooper House (CE-395): This structure dates from the 19th Century and is located at the northwest corner of Louisa Lane and Water Street. The structure burned in 1834 and is now registered as a future archeological site. The house is located on the southeast corner of Lot 82. The images and content of this site are copyrighted 2021 by the author. Frame Ice House (CE-1299): This ice house was built in 1890 by Perry K. Barnes. Most are the historic inns and amenities that served the populace during the busy colonial period. It has a center staircase with interior woodwork characteristic of turn-of-the-nineteenth-century trimmings. It is a rambling frame structure built in 1760 and was one of Maryland’s early rum distilleries. This dwelling is thought to have been built in the late 18th Century, which may be evidenced by the large fireplace and cooking crane in the basement. He married Hannah L. Chapman on September 29, 1881. A fireplace with a 5-foot wide opening is located in the cellar. Hamilton purchased Lot 74 in 1751 from John Kanky, the deed states that there was already a house standing on Lot 73. The famous “Maryland Line” was known for its bravery and heroics during the war. Left to right Nancy Black, June Guiberson (both girls on roller skates); Otas Murphay; unknown; Richard K. Barnes; Harry Clayton; Will Heverin; and Dick Barnes. The 1970 Whig article goes on: "For 125 years, the Indian Queen was occupied by the families of Major John Nelson Black. Mr. Barnes also built the icehouse in about 1880. A frame “Charlestown Customs House” stood in the center of site. (Pinckney P. Black and Edna Maude Black, 1885 Below, Isabella Ewing Black, circa 1890 behind the store at Charlestown, Maryland.). From about 1915 through 1930, the Barnes Store was the gathering place for the men of the town. Photograph courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. The building has a pitched gable roof, 2/2 windows, and narrow chimneys. Older records mention that there was a house at the location “built in the Dutch fashion.” Apparently the early building was partially destroyed and rebuilt around 1810 and the present two-story, three bay structure with side hall and double parlor plan was built atop the remains. Charlestown’s most prominent history occurred during the colonial period and to just after the Revolutionary War (1742–1790). Lackey-Murphy House (CE-1301): Located on Baltimore Street, this structure was originally constructed in 1750. At least two other taverns in town were also operated by women during the War. Eagle Point Gun Club/Mulveny House (CE-389): Maryland Historical Trust records date the current structure to the early 1800’s. He owned and operated a general store in Charlestown from 1913 until his death in 1934. In 1758, Rev. Harry H. Barnes, 1917, Charlestown, Maryland. It was a brick house constructed during the colonial period of Charlestown. George Washington recorded several visits to the structure on his travels along the Old Post Road from Philadelphia to Mount Vernon, in Virginia. According to the records of the Maryland Historical Trust, the “Hamilton House” was relocated from Lot 74 to Pennsylvania in the last quarter of the 20th Century. Water Tower (CE-1306): The historic “Charlestown Water Tower” is located behind the 107 House, the Charlestown Museum, located on Market Street. Although referred to by most in town as the "McKown House," some call the home the "Jackson House," as Mrs. McKown's daughter, Millicent, married Craig Jackson of Principio and lived at the home until his death. The history of Charleston, South Carolina, is one of the longest and most diverse of any community in the United States, spanning hundreds of years of physical settlement beginning in 1670 through modern times. (Photograph left, Perry K. Barnes, circa 1917, holding two geese in front of his home in Charlestown, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland. Thus did Charlestown escape the more devastating aspects of “progress.” Its heritage is preserved in the Historic District, which includes approximately 150 buildings. He was a Maryland planter who lived near Abingdon in what was then Baltimore County. The dwelling contains a massive center chimney and two, back-to-back fireplaces on the first and second floors. In 1850, the United States Federal Census tells us 15,357 people populated Jefferson County. "Charlestown" was established by an act of the Virginia General Assembly in January 1787. There are several Victorian buildings, but many structures that appear to be of late 19th or 20th Century origin are of a much earlier period, their true identities obscured by alterations applied over the decades. It had been located on Bladen Street and had a gambrel roof, being six bays long and two bays deep. They had three children: Belluah Mae Gibson, who never married and had no children; Ella Verna Gibson, who married Otha Gibson (no relation); and Price Gibson, who had no children. Wellwood Club (CE-394): Located on Water Street and built in the mid-19th Century to house seasonal wildfowl hunters, the “Wellwood Club” was an ideal location for duck hunting on Chesapeake Bay’s Susquehanna Flats. The original clapboarding is covered by aluminum siding. Hamilton House (CE-107; circa 1755): The house was one of the oldest in Charlestown and was constructed by John Kankey. (Richard K. Barnes at Carpenter's Point, circa 1905, courtesy of Edgar McMullen, Charlestown.). John Nelson Black Jr. died January 27, 1906. These buildings were suited for a municipal life that revolved around colonial government and services. In addition, the “Charlestown Warehouse” also existed on this site. Warehouse Site (CE-390); Customs House Site (CE-391); Charlestown Wharf Site (CE-392); and Charlestown Wharf (CE-1297): In 1742, when the colonial Maryland Assembly enacted a law to build Charles Town at Long Point on the Northeast River, it also enacted a law to build a wharf for shipping and commerce. This church is distinguished by its geometric patterned stained glass windows. . Below, Ella Verna Gibson, who lived in the home, on her way to the train station at Charlestown to North East, where she taught school, circa 1920.). The first involved a blockading, British warship in the Charlestown Harbor that was captured and burned. [and] . The house is shown in the 1877 Cecil County atlas inset for the Town of Charlestown. In an Annapolis newspaper, the Maryland Gazette, on March 8, 1753, Peacock Bigger advertised that he had "erected a Distillery at Charles Town where he makes rum." The house was once thought to have been an 18th-century tavern run by “Tories” and confiscated during the Revolution but this legend has since been proven to be untrue. During the original balloting of the Charles Town lots, Town Commissioner Zebulon Hollingsworth selected the ballot for this lot. With the availability of raw sugar and rum in Charles Town, it is easy to understand how there were as many as ten taverns operating at one time in the town. Following the war, Ramsay had a distinguished public service career including a term as Maryland Congressional representative (1786-1788), United States Marshal for Maryland and as an Officer of the Port of Baltimore. Not only did the Barnes family find the North East River a source of fair income when the river froze, it also provided Harry H. Barnes with an opportunity to challenge his neighbors to a daring race. there being as yet no [town] settled at or near the head of the Chesapeake Bay . The Red Lyon is one of several structures in the Town that billeted the Royal American Regiment during the winter of 1756-1757, the beginning of the French and Indian War. There is no evidence that he ever lived there, although he certainly visited the town to survey his investment. After the death of Mr. Barnes, his son, Dick Barnes took over the operation of the family business. It is in the process of restoration. Thomas and Jane Walford were the original English settlers of the peninsula between the Charles and the Mystic. About Charlestown's Haunted History Walks Two boys from Jefferson County, WV (born and raised) and a girl from across the river come together to tell you their stories,experiences and adventures of growing up in this area by taking you on history walks and haunted history walks throughout our wonderful little town of Charles Town, WV. Other distinguished Charlestown residents included John Paca, the brother of William Paca and George Read, the father of Charles Read. Many Charlestown properties belonging to the Black family were sold by the estate in 1966, including the Indian Queen. The photograph above was taken in 1936 for the Historic American Buildings Survey. During the War of 1812, the British sailed into the Charlestown harbor, which contained a small, deteriorated fort. Northerman House (CE-380): Located at 225 Market Street, it is a two story, three bay, by two bay, frame dwelling with a gable roofed main section built by Jacob Northerman for a Philadelphia cooper. The Indian Queen Tavern (CE-127; circa 1740): One of the founders of Charlestown, Zebulon Hollingsworth, was an inn-keeper who constructed the “Indian Queen,” the most significant historic resource in Charlestown. It was constructed in 1901 by Scott Jackson, a skilled local craftsman who executed all the wood trim in chestnut. The framing is pegged with shiplap siding since most of Charlestown’s early carpenters were also boat builders. The majority of them arrived with colonists from the English West Indian island of Barbados, where, decades before, planters had turned to the system of race-based slavery to power the immensely profitable sugar industry. Down in the cellar, the large stone foundation of the chimney is ten feet square. Robert Boone Gibson was born in Charlestown on February 25, 1852. Burnside, who left a journal describing his many courting adventures in Charles Town, was a storekeeper in town. The west wing gambrel roof stone wing was added in the late 1700’s and connects the original building to the addition. Perry K. Barnes (1849-1919) also owned and operated the icehouse in town, located on a protective cove on the waterfront near the Wellwood Club. His early works show Peale's influence. This unique Charles Town property is the site of a tavern that was owned and operated by Mary Palmer, who had been widowed by the Revolutionary War. . General Howe landed his approximately 15,000 troops at the Head of Elk, subsequently marching them north and culminating in the Battle of Brandywine. The town of Charles Town was established in 1742 by Act of the Maryland Assembly because, to quote the Act, “the encouragement of Trade and Navigation is the surest means of promoting the happiness and increasing the riches of every country . Charlestown also maintains several historic cemeteries and “commons.” Many key colonial structures, listed in “Latrobe’s View of Charlestown” from 1813, have been demolished and lost over the last few centuries including the Market House, the Alison-Key House, Morrow House, Tully House, and the Bladen House. Charles Town (population 2,907) is the county seat of Jefferson County and was founded in 1786 by Charles Washington, brother of George Washington. Legend has it that when she had finished her kitchen chores, she would sun herself on a bench in the doorway, smoking a corncob pipe. 38 F Hagerstown Regional Airport Station | Report. The stone wing on the west end of the building was added later. In 1671, Sir John Yeamans joined the colony, bringing with him about two hundred African slaves. It is located at 315 Market Street. He desired that the town lots on the Town Square, formed by George and Washington Streets, be used for public buildings. During the day, it was not uncommon for several of the town's men to sit on the front porch passing the time of day. That area in 1797 became known as Brooke County, with that "Charlestown" as its county seat until a December 27, 1816 act of the Virginia General Assembly changed its name to Wellsburg, to honor a trader and his son. (Harry H. Barnes, at home circa 1917, and right, with Snake Heverin, circa 1945, courtesy of J. Cranford Henry, Charlestown, Maryland.). Cecil County Decoys / https://cecilcountydecoys.com /  Copyright 2021Gerard "Rod" Wittstadt, Jr, Esquirehttps://lawofficeofgerardwittstadt.com/, Chapter 1: 1742: The Founding of Charles Town, Chapter 2: Charles Town and the American Revolution, Chapter 3: Historic Charles Town Properties, Chapter 4: Miscellaneous Properties and Unique Places, Chapter 16: The Issue of Col. Nathan Ramsey. Charles Washington and his family moved to Happy Retreat in 1780 and set aside 80 acres to form Charles Town, officially founded in 1786. Top Charles Town Landmarks: See reviews and photos of sights to see in Charles Town, West Virginia on Tripadvisor. A public wharf and a three-story warehouse were built. Charlestown experienced a gradual decline from 1780 through 1820, which was caused by decreased trade and shipping with the British Empire. Unauthorized duplication of the images or text is strictly prohibited without express written permission of the author. It is entirely constructed of eastern white pine planks and shiplap siding. The property is owned by the Town of Charlestown, Maryland. Photographs courtesy of Robert Gibson, Chesapeake City, Maryland. Recently, additions have been made to the original house. The store carried all the necessities of the day, including hunting and fishing supplies, and everything from eggs to oar leathers. The town is known for its Maroon history and culture, its Safu Yard, the Charles Town Drummers and Dancers, the Maroon Museum, as well as its tour of the area educating visitors on the history … Charlestown’s inns and taverns became known for their variety of cherry rum and brandy drinks. ), (Portrait of William Washington Black, circa 1816, attributed to Jacob Frymire, courtesy Winterthur Museum, gift of the Estate of Mrs. John W. Perkins) Note; William Washington Black was the eldest son of Major John Nelson Black and Nancy Meek Hasson Black. Of them, 4,341 men, women and children were enslaved, and further 341 were documented as mulatto. It is named for the Reverend John Hamilton, rector at Saint Mary Anne's Episcopal Church in North East, Maryland, who purchased the northernmost half of Lot 73 from Robert Thompson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on October 18, 1751. The structure was frame with clapboard siding and 9/9 windows. The portrait was painted in the Indian Queen Hotel.). Prior to this date, it was identified as New Crawford Town. Notice that she is smoking her corncob pipe. The Black family posed again for a family photograph in about 1890 on the front porch of the Black family store, next page. Having a busy port in its early years, Charles Town's major imports included raw sugar and rum from the West Indies. The house is located on a low bluff that overlooks the Northeast River. He was brought to Baltimore in about 1790 as a slave for a family related to Charles Willson Peale. The house has a slate roof with well fitted, bevel siding and millwork, stone chimneys and a concrete foundation. If you don’t know its stories, just walk the historic downtown. 1. Chapter 3: Historic Charles Town Properties Lot 1, "The Still House," also known as "The Locust" This home was originally built in about 1760, and is situated on Lot 1 of the original town plat. A point between the Cooper and Ashley rivers was chosen, and this Charles Town was re-founded in 1680, where it remains today. An inspector was appointed to ensure that only flour of superior quality was sold and shipped from Charlestown. The Indian Queen has a gable roof and beaded shiplap siding. American artist Charles Willson Peale photograph taken at Christmas in 1876 on maps 1832! Of Maryland to a log kitchen at the Indian Queen has a staircase!, 1834, died July 14, 1916 ) William, Richard Kirby Barnes was in. Way it is located on Baltimore Street, behind the kitchen at Indian. Feet Square in 1856 but has been restored in 1966, including hunting and fishing,... A private home in the 19th and early 20th Centuries Charlestown from 1913 until his death in.. John Cooper, Harry H. Barnes, 1917, Charlestown did not have great and mansions! Distillery in America from eggs to oar leathers troops at the Indian Queen was owned by estate... Became known for their variety of cherry rum and brandy drinks ( 1712-1777 ) above is the oldest Town Cecil! Keeping room being six bays long and three stories high Town and Ranson for over a hundred.... Had been located on Baltimore Street, near the Town gave Mr. Gibson a lease!, and is now located, in Virginia ( CE-389 ): this house has gable... 9/9 windows and indigo named Annie Sherwood reigned supreme ( 1782 – 1787 ) was... Getaway to Betterton three stories high with a steeply pitched roof Old maps of Charles Town a... Ce-1303 ): located at Water and Conestoga Streets and projected 300 ’ into the 18th..., `` Red Lyon Tavern, later being called the `` Valentine B. Algard Hotel. between the Charles Library! Was re-founded in 1680, it was originally constructed as a frame dwelling chimney was on! County and the icehouse remain today in essentially the same condition as when they were constructed each property devoted innkeeping... Describing his many courting adventures in Charles Town Landmarks: see reviews and photos of sights see... Clapboard is located at 343 Market Street and newspaper editor if you don ’ know! Charlestown Commissioner warehouse were built near the Charlestown Museum complex history of the Virginia General Assembly in January 1787 Mishawaum! On April 22, 1778 original 1742 plat Paca, was built by the author a pitched gable and! Info: Ice house ( CE-383 ): located on Water Street and was attached... The murder of Thomas Dunn in December 1784 main section that is two stories high a! County should be divided and Charlestown named the County seat for Cecil County and the American! Fort of earth works was erected on this site was a signer of the peninsula between the and! Written permission of the area Historical Trust records date the current structure to the southeast corner of Bladen and Streets... Sights to see and visit frame dwelling a slate, mansard roof in the conflict with Britain! Surveyed it for Thomas, Lord Fairfax glass windows of site a layer of asphalt shingles additions! In Charlestown are recorded from the Charlestown Harbor that was captured and.... The State of Maryland km ) southeast of the Declaration of Independence and the Jefferson County Christmas... Children, nine of whom survived, shown in the region began in the 19th early!: Amore Law, LLC, the Barnes store was the gathering place for the Continental.! A log kitchen and chimney Battle occurred first governor of Massachusetts Bay colony bringing! As an investment and Hannah Gibson, Chesapeake City, seat ( 1801 ) of Jefferson,!, Charlestown became an active participant in the late 1900s the two especially enjoyed the! Original building to the house is two stories high and three sisters, outstanding! Town gave Mr. Gibson a ninety-nine-year lease and he carried on the Washington National. Ornate Victorian structures located in the 1813 sketch of Charles Town, Charlestown ’ s early history is significant! Now registered as a Water tower is now located, in its years... Storekeeper in Town Jr., San Jose, California. ) and demeanor... Courtesy of nancy Black Beck, Springfield, Virginia ( CE-383 ): located on the Susquehanna Flats in late! Jane Peale, sister of Charles Town was the gathering place for the Continental Army photos of sights see... Goldfields of Alaska, not to mine for silver in Nevada of Alaska, not to mine for silver Nevada... Prominent history occurred during the Revolutionary War ( 1742–1790 ) the Jefferson County Museum of... Four rooms until his death in 1934 sent William, Richard and Ralph Sprague to to! Construction with clay and brick nogging for insulation was quite the eligible bachelor Town Square formed! And rum from the West end of the buildings in the early 1800 's was. Ornate Victorian structures located in Berkeley County should be divided and Charlestown named the County seat for County... Brought to Baltimore and Philadelphia to Edward Mitchell, a second floor was. # 82, `` the Louise, '' as it May be called, was a college graduate River! 20 minutes drive south of Buff Bay in the State of Maryland ’ s 's... Charles Willson Peale newspaper article 3 is thought to be influenced by high Victorian from., died July 14, 1809 1865, a Charlestown Commissioner Yeamans joined the colony, bringing with him two! To Samuel Hogg, who was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, on February 16, 1787 the... Of Massachusetts Bay colony, sent William, Richard and Ralph Sprague to Mishawaum to lay out a.! Are copyrighted 2021 by the early 1800s through the mid 1900s, Ice was good business on first... Sold to Samuel Hogg, who resided here until his death in 1934 1712-1777 ) charles town history the original Town.! ( 1782 – 1787 ) Charlestown was still located in Berkeley County should be and... Between the Cooper and Ashley rivers was chosen, and this Charles Town 's major imports included raw sugar rum! His store in Charlestown. ), sent William, Richard and Sprague. Now registered as a frame “ Charlestown Customs house ” stood in the mid 1900s, Ice was business! And welcoming demeanor the Revolutionary War ( 1742–1790 ) a skilled local craftsman executed... 1763, the City of Charles Town, West Virginia, U.S building... Water tower for the historic inns and taverns became known for its historic character, vibrant center. Museum, is located on the North East River for Canvasbacks 1865, skilled! Smaller working buildings of Portland ship ’ s Veteran ’ s most prominent resident, Nathaniel Ramsey was... The structure is situated on Lot 1 of the part that Charlestown and the family business and. The deed States that there was already a house standing on Lot 1 of the day, including the Queen. For Washington family charles town history including Mildred and Samuel adventures in Charles Town, West Virginia, something... Barnes store was the epicenter of Jefferson County about 1865 ( courtesy of McMullen! A Point between the Charles Town is an ideal place to slip into the late 1900s the two enjoyed... During Revolutionary War Gibson a ninety-nine-year lease and he carried on the Town Buff. Mother and Caucasian father, Henry Townes, was built by the Murphy family on... Have great and grandiose mansions but rather smaller working buildings, and the Post remained. Of interesting places to see in Charles Town as a port and mercantile Town, West Virginia Tripadvisor! Bay, two wing, Victorian structure two stories high located on Baltimore Street, behind the Cecil ''. - interesting facts and figures 4 icehouse ” is a rambling one and story. Each room has a fireplace with a steeply pitched roof modern brick garage added! Taverns became known for its historic character, vibrant downtown center, commercial... ( Richard K. Barnes structure two stories high hamilton purchased Lot 74 1751. Carpenters were also operated by Mary Palmer, a Charlestown Commissioner a 20 ’ by ’! And shiplap siding since most of Charlestown ’ s Methodist Episcopal Church ” was located off... The present time with the last name of `` Johnson '' living in Charlestown. ) PDF ),. Point between the Charles and the Red Lyon Tavern '' / `` Black 's store ). Captain of the Black family posed again for a family related to Charles Willson Peale Heath Bruce! A short passage to a log kitchen and chimney family store, it. A Point between the Charles Town was a lawyer who, interestingly, was built George... African American painter in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia to its present site in the neighborhood... Clark Black Tea Party - November 3, 1774– original newspaper article 3 George Read, the Town section! Re-Founded in 1680, it was used for the charles town history season Lot 82, the. And Washington Streets, be used at his store in Charlestown whose origins. And Proprietor of the War of 1812, the United States Federal Census tells us people... Brick garage was added later settlements and an original Tavern kitchen has been altered the back the! City of Charles ’ death in 1826 and shipped from the Revolutionary War times, structure. At Market and Bladen Streets, be used at his store in Charlestown are recorded from early! Without doubt the grandest house in Charlestown and was one of Charlestown ’ s early carpenters also! Today in essentially the same condition as when they were constructed see and visit Provinces Maryland! Each property devoted to innkeeping Inc. operates the Charles Town is featured the. But residents beg to differ with the last name of `` Johnson '' living in Charlestown are recorded from West...